YNPN San Diego would like to know, how are you doing?
During this time of uncertainty and change, how are you managing your stress? What are you doing to stay calm and relaxed? Or, if you are feeling insecure or uneasy, how are you handling those feelings?
We are here for you. Please don't hesitate to reach out if you need support, clarity, or connection.
For now, here are some ways that our board members are staying calm, dealing with our ever-changing circumstances, and occupying their down time:
Kristen Mihalko, Board Chair
I gave into the hype and made the TikTok famous dalgona coffee! The recipe I used was 4 tablespoons of the following:
- instant coffee
- boiling water
Whisk until your arm falls off! Pour creamy coffee over ice and milk (and a little bit of creamer if you'd like), mix in, and enjoy. A highly potent caffeinated beverage to start your day.
Lauren Hartz, Membership Committee Board Member
This week I have:
1) Made some enchiladas with my roommates. We precooked some potatoes, black beans, bell peppers, and corn before rolling them up and baking them. They have been delightful
2) Played way too much Animal Crossing. It's my first time playing a game from this franchise and I am having a great time!
3) Purchased some fabric to try making a historical costume. I've never done this sort of thing before so I made sure to buy a lot of test fabric so I can learn.
Erica Browning, Board Treasurer
I’m one of the few people still going into the office. At Jewish Family Service, we are helping our clients by having daily food distributions and delivering groceries to older adults throughout the community. The work can be tough, but it’s nice to feel like you’re helping the community through this time in a lot of small ways.
Maria Cuevas, Programming Committee Board Member
One of the things that has brought zen into life during dark times is coloring with a nice hot cup of coffee. My favorite coloring book at the moment is Harry Potter themed - can you tell I’m a fan? #HufflePuff
“But you know, happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light." – Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
Shayla James, Membership Committee Co-Chair and Board Member
- I've been cooking a lot and trying recipes I've never tried before - rosé with baked chicken in a cream sauce and Alfredo pasta
- I’ve been teaching virtual music lessons. I’m grateful that I can continue teaching. It’s been nice to keep some sort of routine for myself and my students too.
- Also, I took a break from Cheetos and I made a mini charcuterie board for a snack. haha
Stephanie Cook, Programming Committee Co-Chair and Board Member
Stephanie took to the trails last weekend for a quick Mount Laguna getaway. She shared that parking is limited near the trailheads to avoid over-crowding, but regardless hikers should plan to bring a mask. The parks aren’t being serviced, so be sure to bring a bag to pack out whatever you pack in, or better yet pick up some additional trash along the trail as you go!
Theresa Cunningham, Board Secretary
I'm coming up with lots of creative ways to entertain my kiddos! Lately we've been into watercolors, paper crafts, puzzles, and playing dress up. Although working as a parent during a pandemic can be hard, I truly value the time I get to spend with my little girls. It's fun to experience the world from their perspective...and with their energy!